The random thoughts of a pastor in a place where "always reforming" is a way of life.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Back in the Saddle

So obviously I haven't been blogging much at all. When I first launched my blog last September, after reading an article in Preaching magazine about pastors who use blogs to communicate with their congregation, I thought it sounded like a neat idea. Then, life happened and I fell out of grace with my own blog. A big thank you to http://tenclay.org/blog and http://firstyearminister.blogspot.com for putting me back in the saddle. Now, as I sit in the study at 67 West Main, perhaps the dream of blogging for communication will become a reality.

If anyone has any ideas about how best to get this blog out to the members of my congregation, it would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

teejtc said...

Welcome "back" - I'm looking forward to it.

Grace and Peace,
`tim

teejtc said...

Regarding the question about informing your congregation - do some serious thought about your purpose for blogging.

If the purpose is to engage your congregation on the internet - put it in your bulletin and on your business cards (tell everyone) and be careful about what you say, who you talk about, and what examples you use.

If you're purpose is to engage the larger blogging community (which may include some members of your congregation but not necessarily others), e-mail the ones you want and leave the rest to "find out on their own."

I've done a mixture of both and it works where I'm at. It doesn't work for all though. Some congregations are more argumentative. Just know your context.

Grace and Peace,
`tim

Stacey said...

Hey - just found you via your link to my blog. Glad you're back, and I second what Tim said about considering your purpose. I speak from experience when I say be very careful what you write about congregational life, and even your own life. I've been bitten a couple of times because of my blog. Anyway, happy blogging!